Anime Summer Season 2017 – Early Impressions
Another anime season is upon us, filled with all sorts of stuff. Now while there are some strong contenders this season, I will say that overall it feels a bit weak. Certainly not as strong as last season, which I saw some people also calling weak. That does make me wonder if anyone thinks this is a really strong season? I didn’t even hit ten shows I definitely want to watch this time. While there are some that are decent, just Not For Rita, a lot of these just aren’t that good.
Unfortunately we’ve ended up with another weird release schedule, so it’s taken a while to get through everything. And you know I like releasing the whole thing at once. But now we’re finally here.
And while I have tried to avoid any sorts of spoilers or impressions about the shows before I watch them, it has been impossible to avoid everything. To that end, we have an entirely new feature this time. While there’s always stuff I end up missing for various reasons, this time there’s also three shows I am actively avoiding. I felt like I had to do that, considering how badly I got burned by Love Tyrant. I can’t just wade into stuff I hear is really bad, just to see how bad it is. It’s not healthy.
Only posting a segmented version this time, so here are the parts:
Contains: Fate Apocrypha; Netsuzou Trap – NTR -; Skirt no Naka wa Kedamono Deshita/There Was a Beast Inside the Skirt.
I’ll give you a summary here, and you can click the links if you want to read my reasoning.
- 18if [Maybe]
- Action Heroine Cheer Fruits [Watching]
- Aho Girl [Dropped]
- Ballroom e Youkoso/Welcome to the Ballroom [Dropped]
- Battle Girl High School [Dropped]
- Centaur no Nayami/A Centaur’s Life [Watching]
- Clione no Akari [Maybe]
- Dive!! [Dropped]
- Enmusubi no Youko-chan/Fox Spirit Matchmaker [Dropped]
- Gamers [Dropped]
- Hajimete no Gal/My First Girlfriend is a Gal [DROPPED]
- Hina Logi: From Luck & Logic [Watching]
- Hitorijime My Hero [Dropped]
- Ikemen Sengoku [Dropped]
- Isekai Shokudou/Restaurant to Another World [Watching]
- Isekai wa Smartphone to Tomo ni/In Another World With My Smartphone [Maybe]
- Jikan no Shihaisha/Chronos Ruler [Dropped]
- Kakegurui/Compulsive Gambler [Dropped]
- Keppeki Danshi! Aoyama-kun/Cleanliness Boy! Aoyama-kun [Maybe]
- Knight’s & Magic [Maybe]
- Koi to Uso/Love and Lies [Dropped]
- Konbini Kareshi/Convenience Store Boyfriends [Maybe]
- Made in Abyss [Watching]
- Mahoujin Guruguru (2017)/Magical Circle [Maybe]
- Musekinin Galaxy Tylor/The Irresponsible Galaxy Tylor [Dropped]
- Nana Maru san Batsu [Dropped]
- New Game!! [Watching]
- Nora to Ojou to Noraneko Heart/Nora, Princess, and Stray Cat [Watching]
- Princess Principal [Watching]
- Shoukuko no Altair/Altair: A Record of Battles [Dropped]
- Tenshi no 3P/Angel’s 3Piece [DROPPED]
- Tsurezure Children/Tsuredure Children [Maybe]
- Vatican Kiseki Chousakan/Vatican Miracle Examiner [Dropped]
- Youkai Apartment no Yuuga na Nichijou/Elegant Yokai Apartment Life [Maybe]
- Youkoso Jitsuryoku Shijou Shugi no Kyoushitsu e (TV)/Classroom of the Elite [Watching]
Jikogu Shoujo Yoi no Togi: Not seen the first three seasons.
Katsugeki/Touken Ranbu: This is tied in with that other Touken Ranbu show I decided to not watch.
Marvel Future Avengers: The late release date (five days out at time of writing) means I don’t want to wait for it.
Owarimonogatari (Ge): I only got halfway through the first part.
Saiyuuki Reload Blast: I know the prequel is from 2004, but it still seems to rely so heavily on it that I decided to give it a pass.
The Reflection Wave One: This actually looks kinda interesting, but it’s also five days out from time of writing, so I don’t want to wait. If I change my mind and look at it anyway, I’ll let you know at mid-season.
So to sum up what I’m actually watching:
- A Centaur’s Life
- Action Heroine Cheer Fruits
- Classroom of the Elite
- Hina Logi: From Luck & Logic
- Made in Abyss
- New Game!!
- Nora, Princess, and Stray Cat
- Princess Principal
- Restaurant to Another World
And there we go. Nine shows I ended up with, and I didn’t really have any “what should I cut” problems. Maybe I’m better at calling this stuff early now, or I’m being harsher in my picks, or this season is really as poor as I think.
I am going to try to use the spare time to finally watch Symphogear G and GX, so I can join in with AXZ.
Let’s see how many of them last until the mid-season. Until then, have fun!